Construction Permits

Do I need a Permit?

Permits are required for the construction, demolition, alteration or change in occupancy of any building in the Town of Three Hills in accordance with the Alberta  Safety Codes Act , the National Building Code and the National Energy Code. In addition to your Construction Permit, you may also require a Development Permit, so ensure that you review the  Development and Planning regulations as well. 
Some of the projects requiring a permit include (but are not limited to):
  • Any Building, Gas, Electrical or Plumbing work that falls under the guidelines of the National Building Code or the National Energy Code
  • Construction, addition, renovation, relocation or demolition of any building; 
  • Construction or placement of a temporary structure;
  • Change in occupancy of a building (converting a building from one use to another);
  • Installation of a solid fuel-fired appliance (wood or pellet stove);
  • Interior structural alterations (i.e. adding or removing walls, finishing a basement);
  • Construction or installation of above ground, on ground or in ground swimming pool or hot tub with water depth greater than 2 feet and any fence surrounding a swimming pool;
  • Maintenance or repairs that are structural in nature or restoration of a building (i.e. following fire damage or wood rot);
  • Construction of a deck over 24" in height;
  • Alterations to heating/ventilation systems;
  • New or replacement fireplace and furnace installation (Building, Electrical and Gas Permits may be required);
  • Any construction where health or safety matters are a concern; 
  • New Electrical, Gas or Plumbing; 
  • The alteration or addition to any existing Electrical, Gas or Plumbing; 
Ask yourself the following:
  1. Am I constructing, renovating, altering, repairing, relocating or demolishing any building?  Will there be any structural change to that building?  
  2. Am I installing, altering or adding to any electrical system? 
  3. Am I installing, altering or adding to any gas system?
  4. Am I installing, altering or adding to any plumbing system? 
If you answered yes to any of the above questions, contact the Town Permit Issuer at 403-443-5822 to determine your permit requirements. 
Why do I need a Permit?
  1. Construction permits are mandated through the Alberta Government as a means to ensure that builders and property owners are adhering to the National Building Code (NBC). Its the Law.
  2. Permits are about enforcing safety! Your permit fee pays for your associated inspections.  Having a professional Inspector check you and/or your contractor's work is up to code is the best way to ensure your home is as safe as possible.
  3. Your permit provides you with professionals who review your plans to ensure that work will meet NBC before the project is started, saving you both time and money.  Further, those professionals are available throughout the project to provide you with NBC advice.
  4. Your Insurance requires them! Work completed without a permit may result in your insurance company not honouring your policy or denying a specific claim.
  5. Are you planning on selling? Your realtor or buyer may require that you provide them with a copy of all the permits associated with your property.  Failure to produce these permits may delay the process of selling your home until they can be obtained.
  6. Property owners are solely responsible for ensuring that the appropriate permits are pulled on their buildings, however, arrangements may be made with your contractor to pull the necessary permits. Ultimately the property owner is liable for all fees and fines associated with failure to purchase applicable construction permits.
Further information to assist with permit regulation can be found in the  Permit Regulation Handbook.
A variety of local bylaws and provincial regulations govern when you need a permit. This may also vary with the specific circumstances surrounding your project. It is always best to check with the Town of Three Hills before starting any new work.  
Permit Applications must be submitted to the Town of Three Hills office with the applicable fee.  The Town partners with  Park Enterprises Ltd. to provide permits and inspections within municipal boundaries.  Building permit applications will be forwarded to Park Enterprises Ltd. for plan review and permit issuance.  Electrical, plumbing, gas and fire permits are issued at the Town Office.
Find more information on construction permits and codes here: