Starting a Business?
"Canada One" provides this great start-up guide to help you with the process of deciding if starting a business is right for you!
Step 1: Make Sure You Are Your Ready for Entrepreneurship
It is easy to come up with an idea to start a business, but not so easy to actually launch and build a profitable business. Eighty per cent of businesses fail in the first five years. Before you take the risk of starting a business, make sure:
Step 2: Evaluate Your Options
When starting a business, there are important differences between starting from scratch, buying a privately owned business and buying a franchise. To know what steps you need to take be sure to read these articles:
- Ten Steps to Your Own Business - for starting from scratch.
- Canadian Franchise Guide - if you are buying a franchise in Canada.
- Comprehensive Guide to Buying a Business in Canada - if you are buying a business (franchise or independently owned).
Step 3: Prepare a Business Plan
You should not skip this important step ... even if it means that you just jot your ideas down on scraps of paper or a napkin! Be sure to read:
- Business Plan Workshop - a practical guide written by the creator of CandaOne's award-winning business plan!
- Business Planning for Non-Planners - great advice if you find that you have a "business plan block".
- Are you on the right track? Contact Community Futures Wild Rose for help with the preparation and review of your plan!
Step 5: Contact the Town
- Development and Planning- A Development Permit is needed for most new construction or changes of use to an existing property. Book an appointment with the Development Officer to determine what steps you need to take.
- Will you be working out of your home? Find more information on Home Occupation Business here!
- Apply for your Business License here - Once you have received your license in the mail, you are ready to start operation of your business.
Step 4: Register Your Business - Alberta
Need more information? Check out these great links:
Community Futures - Business Loan Application
Community Futures - Quick Cash Loan Application
Community Futures - Business Plan Outline
Community Futures - Home Based Business Loan Application
Community Futures - Business Start-up Guide